Co-financing sustainability measures in the African cotton sector
We assist cotton companies and textile manufacturers in obtaining co-financing for activities aimed at achieving sustainability objectives.
For the period 2017-2020, the Cotton Expert House Africa has signed a grant contract with the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ through GIZ) to co-finance sustainability projects of stakeholders in the African cotton sector.
With this funding, the Cotton Expert House Africa is able to support efforts that focus on
- Capacity development and qualification of smallholder farmers and cotton companies to increase their sustainable cotton production and household income.
- Development of sustainable production in cotton-based farming systems with adopted and innovative production techniques to stabilise the farm households’ production, increase the share of certified cotton and create a reliable base for cotton companies.
- Improved cooperation and networking of cotton companies with standards and the textile industry to improve the marketing and market uptake of sustainably produced cotton and local value addition.
For receiving co-financing support, the following conditions apply:
- 50% of the total project value must be co-financed by the recipient.
- Proposed measures must relate to the three main fields of intervention.
- Supported companies must have a sustainability development and management plan (and budget) and should envisage certification according to CmiA, BCI, Fairtrade or Organic.
- Supported companies should maintain a fair contractual relation and a pre-financing approach with their contract farmers.
- Proposed measures should be innovative and benefit a larger number of farmers (outreach). They should be different from interventions supported under the COMPACI programme in terms of topic, approach, region or target group.
- 30% of training and capacity development measures must benefit women.
- If possible, support measures should be organised collectively, hence benefitting a large number of cotton farmers and more than one company (sub-regional or national approach).
- Supported companies must be prepared to share their results, materials and experiences with others.
Please contact our regional managers with a brief concept note, if your company or organisation wants to develop a co-financing project with the Cotton Expert House Africa under this funding opportunity. Together we will be able to develop a coherent proposal and budget plan.
Additionally, the Cotton Expert House Africa looks out for Call for Proposals from the European Union and international development banks that support sustainability projects in the African cotton and textile sector. Please contact our team if you aware of a grant project and require support.
A collaboration with the BCI Growth and Innovation Fund is foreseen for 2018.
For African cotton companies also registered in Germany or the EU, the Cotton Expert House Africa can also offer contacts and support for applying to the develoPPP.de funding opportunity.